2018 Competition rules
have fun. play by the rules. win the price
2018 Lone Star Show Choir Invitational
Official Competition Rules
- All groups will have 25 minutes to enter, perform, and clear the stage. Timing begins when the first person steps on the stage and ends when the last person clears. Timing will stop for the introduction of your group. Penalty for exceeding the time limit will be a one-point deduction for every 30 seconds over the time limit. Please perform at least 3 pieces that cover at least 10 minutes of your performance slot.
- Live Critique will be done post-performance in a separate space.
- Groups will enter from stage right and exit from stage left.
- There will be 5 handheld mics for all soloists. The 3 in the center will be wireless and the other 2 will be wired. You may use these in any manner you choose.
- A grand piano, power supply, music stands and chairs (all for band) will be provided. A drum set is also provided should you choose to use it.
- We will be utilizing a set stage for all groups. We will supply 16 Wenger 4’ x 8’ Versalite platforms for your use. There will be 4 @ 8”, 4 @ 16”, 4 @ 24” and 4 @ 32”. There will be a minimum of 6’ in space in front of the risers. Groups may add platforms to the stage set or have them removed. This must occur during your 25 minute set.
- Groups will be provided a 20-minute warm-up time prior to the performance. Warm-up will take place in the band hall. There are no risers and there is no drum set in the warm-up room, but there will be a piano and a CD player.
- LIVE instrumental accompaniment must be used at all times on stage for the high school open division. A cappella singing is certainly allowed and encouraged, but any accompaniment must be played live on stage. This rule does not apply to the Middle School division and High School Prep division. (High school ensembles using accompaniment tracks may perform and be evaluated but will not be eligible for finals.)
- All instrumentalists must be currently enrolled as high school students in order to be eligible for the Best Band Award; however, if one adult performs on a keyboard instrument or trap set they may do so and still be eligible for this caption award. There is no penalty for adult instrumentalists otherwise.
- Fog and smoke machines will be permitted, however, pyrotechnics and other open flames are forbidden. Penalty: Ineligible for Finals competition.